Am I Being Called to Be A Priest?
The world needs priests. It needs strong, faithful, courageous men willing to die to themselves for the sake of Christ’s Bride, the Church. It also needs men who want to conform themselves to Christ, who can proclaim his Word and dispense his mercy in the darkest corners of the culture.
To be precise, a man only “knows” he is called when he is ordained! However, there are many positive signs that can point to a vocation, and which can help a man make the decision to enter the seminary and continue along the path towards the priesthood.
Quick Discernment Tool:
Now that you are here and no one is watching or listening, read these statements to yourself, take them to prayer, then act on what you know is right. God knows, you may be called to the priesthood!
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ is important to me.
- People have told me I would make a good priest.
- I’ve hidden vocation material under my bed and in my desk.
- Going to Mass and Adoration is a very important part of my faith life.
- The thought of becoming a priest keeps coming back over and over again.
- I’m afraid to tell my friends and family that I’ve been thinking about the priesthood.
- I feel called to give more of myself to others.
- After hearing the readings at Mass I think about how I would preach.
- I have a burning desire to help people get closer to Christ and to know the Truth.
- I have a strong sense that what I have planned for the future is not what God has planned for me.
If some of these statements reflect how you feel, if your heart is pounding even harder, if you sense a greater desire to find out if God is calling you to live in black and white, get in touch with the Vocation Director. Have no fear, the Lord wants only what is best for you – and so do we.